Day 3–Rainy Day In Turku

posted in: Travel | 0


As we settled into our cabin it started to rain. It rained most of the night and the early hours of the morning. After a full day of being out of my arm brace and battling for bed space in the not king size bed my arm was sore so I was promptly awake at 3am. I thought it’d be a good time to write yesterday’s blog post and polish my presentation for Tech Excellence Finland.


It ended up taking about 2 hours to do the blog post because of the myriad of issues I faced getting the pictures and uploading due to the really poor internet. John’s phone didn’t want to stay connected to my laptop and getting 3 small pics from him took forever. I finally cracked open the Sky Roam but it was just as slow. Then I spent the morning ironically trying to get enough internet to grab screen shots for my presentation in case I have bad internet on the day. I had been so busy with physio etc with my arm, organising and packing coming up to the trip I hadn’t had a chance to get the final bits I needed…lesson learnt there.


After a nanna nap  /  sulk that I wasn’t getting very far, John dragged me out of the house and we wandered into town to find lunch. The triathlon was on again today and this one looked very serious with bicycles leading out the top 3 in the Pro Men’s and Women’s category. There really wasn’t much open for lunch on a Sunday so we settled for some traditional Finnish Mexican Winking smile 


On our walk back we came across Candy Land. Above is only 1 side of the store. It is probably the biggest lolly shop I’ve seen so of course I had to get 2 of everything. This actually took awhile with the giant scoop and it’s going to be a challenge to keep the pairs together. I have no idea what half of them are as they’re in Finnish.


It started to pour down on the final leg home and this time I packed our shell jackets. We tried out the sauna that’s attached to our bathroom. It’s a timber-fired sauna. As John fed the wood and I feed the humidity we watched the temperature gauge rise…30, 35,40, 45, 50, 55, 60. My final bit of water at 60 sent me from hmmmm…it’s warm and I’m starting to sweat to OMG my lungs are burning, I can’t breathe and I feel dizzy so that was me tapping out. John endured a bit more humidity till about 65 before calling it a day. Mental note – don’t sit in the hottest corner.