The public preview for the Kinect V2 SDK came out recently and I get a few questions on where to start. Here’s my top resources to help you out.
Since the alpha device the hub and powersupply has reduced in size dramatically which makes it much easier to transport.
1. SDK Download – http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=43661. This has everything you need including a bunch of sample apps to get you started.
2. Buy the device – http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msaus/en_AU/pdp/Kinect-for-Windows-v2-Sensor/productID.299146900 A lot of people had trouble getting hold of the v1 device (in Australia anyway). Now you can order it straight from the Microsoft store.
3. Channel 9 videos: http://channel9.msdn.com/Series/Programming-Kinect-for-Windows-v2 – set of jump start videos on all the main features of the v2 device.
4. Forums for when you get stuck: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?category=kinectsdks
5. Spread the word – @KinectWindows